Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Big Reveal

Although I was sort of happy with the original cover of The Winds of Heaven and Earth, I felt it was too placid; it didn't convey the sense of fate-driven helplessness that the Moby Dick quote that inspired the book's title warranted:

Know ye now, Bulkington? Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?”

I also wanted to amplify the nautical themes that emerge in the work, and thematically link it with the look and feel I already developed for the second book.

So I changed it.

The front cover is below, and then a shot of the complete jacket.

My editor Rebecca and I are 40 chapters of the book's 55 through the editing, so we're about 75% done; I'm still targeting a September publication date.

Please visit my new website if you haven't, http://stephenmholak.com


Full jacket:

No comments:

Post a Comment